It does, admit it. We’re well past the holidays, the weather is either -74 below zero or 34 drizzling and windy, the days are a bit longer than in January but not really that much yet, and then there’s Valentine’s Day which, let’s be honest, you only look forward to if you’re between 15 and 25 and in a relationship for less than a year.
February doubly sucks for me because I’m always creatively constipated during this Gray Bucket of Suck Month. In the deep winter, as I’ve mentioned here before, my creativity hibernates due to mild SAD and job stress. Come April or so my creative juices go nuts and I can’t get the ideas out of my head fast enough. But during February I can feel the ideas waking up, but they’re not there yet and it’s bloody frustrating. I need something to get me out of this funk, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one. So what to do?
We help each other out.
Each of us have things that make us happy no matter what. I’m not talking about big meaningful stuff here, not the linchpins of your existence. Just the stupid little things that get you through the day, the little reminders that this is a pretty neat world we live in, even if it does suck the pain pipe now and then. And right now is one of those Nows for a lot of people, not just me. So let’s share. Let’s show the world the list of the little things that get us over the bumpy parts of our lives.
So here’s my list of #10LittleThings
- That first sip of coffee in the morning. Yeah, it’s a drug and I’m addicted, so what?
- That moment when you’re laughing with friends and it turns into a feedback loop where everyone else’s laughter just makes you laugh more even if it is because of the stupidest thing in the world and you end up with your stomach hurting and tears in your eyes and panting like you just ran a mile and then someone giggles and it sets all of you off again.
- A patch of sunshine coming in a window on a cold day, one that looks so inviting that you just want to curl up in it like a cat.
- Soft blankets.
- Perfectly clear blue skies, the ones so pristine they don’t look real.
- Watching big thunderstorms roll up like the Wrath of God.
- Genuine hugs, not the stupid, one-arm-pat-your-back ones.
- Those times when you really fall into a book, when everything around you ceases to exist and it’s like you’re living a movie.
- Chocolate. Duh.
- Deep conversations, the kind where you feed off each other and you get that rush like you could solve every problem in the world.
My plan is to share this across FB and Twitter with the hashtag #10LittleThings. Please share, comment, post, etc. We all need a little boost during this time of year. Let’s help each other out.